Home News 55-year old woman dies in Valley shooting

55-year old woman dies in Valley shooting


By Alton Mitchell

A confrontation outside of a Valley residence on Wednesday afternoon led to gunfire outside the rural home. As the bullets stopped flying a 55-year-old Tuskegee woman lay dead in the driveway of the residence.
According to Major Mike Reynolds of the Valley Police Department, officers responded to a home in the 4300 block of County Road 238 at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon. Officers were dispatched to the home in response to a shooting.
As Valley Police arrived at the home they discovered a female lying in the driveway. The victim in the driveway appeared to have suffered an apparent gunshot wound. She was deceased as officers arrived on the scene. The shooting victim was identified by Valley Police as Judith Dawson, 55, of Tuskegee, Alabama.
Valley investigators quickly began their investigation into the shooting and preliminary reports show that Dawson and two female acquaintances came to the residence in Valley. Upon their arrival at the home Valley Police say Dawson had a confrontation with the homeowner and his 18-year-old son, identified as, Kyle Tassin, 18, of Valley.
During the course of the confrontation, two gunshots were fired, including the fatal shot. As Valley officers arrived they discovered and seized two firearms from the residence. Those weapons have been identified as a .22 rifle, which was seized from the home and a second weapon a .22 pistol was seized from the body of Dawson. Police indicate that both weapons had been fired once.

As Valley officers began wrapping up their investigation on the scene, Officers took Tassin to the Valley Police Department for questioning. The body of Dawson was transported to EAMC Lanier in Valley for holding until her remains could be transported to the State Medical Examiner’s Office for and autopsy. Tassin was not charged in connection to the shooting and Valley Police confirm there are no warrants at this time for the incident, but an active investigation is still on going.