Home Columns My Garden Of Life – My Wake-Up Call
My Garden Of Life – My Wake-Up Call

My Garden Of Life – My Wake-Up Call


By Jody Fuller

I didn’t have an article in last week’s paper. I hated that. I love sharing my adventures. I really enjoy sharing my misadventures. Those are the best.

I was in an accident. A nice lady, and I mean that sincerely, ran a traffic light trying to get to the hospital. By God’s good Grace, I saw her coming and slammed on my brakes and steered to the

Jody Fuller is from Opelika, Ala. He is a comic, speaker, writer and soldier with three tours of duty in Iraq. He is also a lifetime stutterer. He can be reached at jody@jodyfuller.com. For more information, please visit www.jodyfuller.com

right. A split second earlier, I would’ve been hit broadside. Instead, I ran into the side of her SUV, which totaled mine. It could’ve been ugly, real ugly, but I walked away in one piece, albeit a bit rattled and sore. Thank God the Lucy and the girls weren’t with me.

I go through the intersection in which the accident happened multiple times each day. I’ve always been a defensive driver, but perhaps I’ve gotten complacent. I need to keep my head on a swivel while driving. Maybe I needed this as a wake-up call.

The EMT sat me down on the back of the ambulance, but I was okay. I was just stuttering a little bit more than normal. I let everyone know that up front. I didn’t want them to think I was about to have a stroke or anything. I was fine. There were no visions of Alexander Shunnarah dancing in my head.

Although Lucy said she was coming to get me, I didn’t want to get her and the baby out of the house. I knew I’d figure something out. I always do. In this case, however, I didn’t have to. A friend of mine just happened to be behind me in his tow truck and drove me and the SUV home so I could get all my stuff out. He’s a good dude.

Lucy insisted I go to the ER, but I’m hard headed and declined. I was fine. I still had that adrenaline rush going strong. A couple of hours later, I started to feel it in my neck, back, and shoulder. I already have problems with all three dating back to my first tour in Iraq, so it was nothing new. It was just a little more intense than usual. It might take a few days for it to get back to my normal level of pain.

Since, I wouldn’t go, she put together some doTerra essential oils and made a rub for my aches and pains and WOW, I felt so much better. It eased the pain without the smell of some of that store-bought stuff.

Thursday morning, I went to see my chiropractor, too, and he popped my back into place. He could tell I’d been in an accident, because my back was jarred in all kinds of funky ways. I immediately felt better.

After that, I went to perform at an awesome luncheon honoring the auxiliary at East Alabama Medical Center. I was hurting a bit, but Jesus took the mic and it went very well. Jesus tells jokes. Who knew?

Later that day, less than 24 hours after the accident, Lucy, Abigail and I went for a stroll on a red dirt road up near the homeplace in Tallapoosa County. I could have been laid up in a hospital or worse, but there I was enjoying the simple and most important things in life.

Perhaps I was becoming complacent, and maybe I needed that wake-up call. We all probably need one from time to time. I don’t know. I just know that I’m feeling great with a new lease on life. I’m blessed to be here.